We love answering your frequently asked questions, here's the answer to one of the more popular ones (for those with locs, microlocs and Sisterlocks):
How to Prevent Buildup in Your Locs
- Avoid oil (or at least keep it to the bare minimum).
- If you indulge in hot oil treatments, make sure they’re thoroughly washed out afterwards.
- Shampoo regularly: every 7-10 days is good, but every 3-5 days is better. Our Stage 1 Seaweed and Stage 1 Peppermint shampoos were specifically formulated for this.
- If you have a scalp condition e.g. psoriasis, dandruff, seborrheic dermatitis have it properly treated. This usually needs a medicated shampoo - something stronger than our natural aromatherapy formulas. If you’re seeing residue on your scalp after washing - the shampoo isn’t strong enough to dissolve and remove all your scalp debris.
- Avoid thick butters and products containing waxes.
- Hydrate your locs with our oil-free Moisture Mists which are perfect for adding much-needed proteins, herbs and moisture without the build-up or added weight.
- DO NOT USE COTTON HEAD WRAPS. Kinky hair acts like Velcro and cotton fibres can become embedded in your locs. Use a satin or silk bonnet/scarf first.
- Cover your locs when you sleep. Or sleep with a satin/silk pillowcase. See above.
- Cover your locs when doing housework e.g. dusting or vacuuming
- Keep woolly scarves, coats and hats away from your locs. Cover with a satin bonnet as per above.
If you have specific questions please feel free to book a consultation or send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org